Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) is a Government Ministry through which the Prime Minister of Uganda provides leadership of the Ministers under the Executive arm of Government.
The Prime Minister is the Leader of Government Business in Parliament established by the Constitution of Uganda under 108 A. This specifies in addition that Premier is responsible for coordination and implementation of Government Policies across Ministries, Departments and other Public Institutions.
This Ministry has a long term mission to instill and maintain efficient and effective systems in Government that enable Uganda to develop rapidly.
This Ministry commonly called OPM is made up of various directorates including: Policy Coordination, Monitoring and Evaluation; Directorate of Information and National Guidance, Directorate in charge if Disaster Preparedness, Management and Refugees; Directorate in Charge of Special Programs of Northern Uganda, Karomoja, Luwero - Rewnzori and Teso Sub regions Affairs; and a Directorate for Administration and Finance.
- Office of the Prime Minister is empowered to:
- To Lead Government Business in Parliament;
- To Coordinate the Monitoring and Evaluation of the implementation of Government Policies and Programmes;
- To Coordinate the implementation of Government Policies , Programmes and Projects under a National Institutional Framework;
- To Coordinate the implementation of the National Development Plan (NDP);
- To Coordinate and provide public relations to ensure good Government image, effective coverage of national events, communication of policies/practices and defining the ideal National Character and Values for Development;
- To Coordinate development of capacities for prevention, preparedness, and response to natural and human induced Disasters and Refugees;
- To Coordinate and monitor the implementation of Special Government Policies and programmes for Northern Uganda, Luwero-Rwenzori, Karamoja, Bunyoro and Teso Affairs.
The Rt. Hon Prime Minister, MP for Kinkizi County West, Patrick Amama Mbabazi, is currently the Political head of OPM. The Ministry has several Ministers to provide political supervision of a number of functions under OPM.
The Second Deputy Prime Minister and Deputy Leader of Government Business is Rt. Hon. Gen. Moses Ali; Minister for Karamoja is Hon. Janet Museveni; Minister for General Duties (Office of the Prime Minister) is Hon. Tarsis Kabwegyere; Minister of Relief and Disaster Preparedness is Hon. Hillary Onek; Minister of Information & National Guidance is Hon. Rose Namayanja; Government Chief Whip is Hon. Justine Lumumba Kasule;
Ministers of State include Relief and Disaster Preparedness who is Hon. Musa Ecweru; Nothern Uganda who is Hon. Rebecca Amuge Otengo; Karamoja who is Hon. Barbra Oundo Nekesa; Luweero Triangle who is Hon. Kataike Sarah Ndoboli; Teso Affairs who is Hon. Christine Amongin Aporu; and Bunyoro Affairs who is Hon Kiiza Ernest.
PLOT 9-11 APOLLO KAGGWA ROAD
P.O. Box 341
TELEPHONE: General Line +256 417770500
Fax: +256 414 341 139